Friday, October 28, 2011

HOW KIDS DEFINE LOVE - Lorna Seilstad shares

A group of professionals posed this question to a group of 4 t0 8 year-olds, "What does love mean?"

A few of their answers:

"When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails anymore. So my grandfather does it for her even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love." Rebecca - age 8

"When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. You just know that your name is safe in their mouth." Billy - age 4

"Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on after shave and they go out and smell each other." Karl - age 6
"Love is when you kiss all the time. And then when you get tired of kissing, you still want to be together and you talk more. My mommy and daddy are like that. They look gross when they kiss." Emily - age 8

"Love is when my mommy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is okay." Chrissy - age 6

"Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well. " Tommy - age 6

"I was on stage for my piano recital and I was scared. I looked at all the people watching me and then I saw my daddy waving and smiling. He was the only one doing that. I wasn't scared anymore." Cindy - age 8.

"Love is when my mommy sees my daddy all smelly and sweaty and still says he is handsomer than Robert Redford." Chris - age 7

"If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend you Hate." Nikka - age 7. (Yes, we need a few million more Nikkas on the planet.)

"When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out." Karen - age 7

"You shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot." Jessica -age 8


SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST:
A four-year-old lived next door to an elderly man who had recently lost his wife. One day the boy saw his old neighbour crying. He went over, climbed into the old man's lap and just sat there.

When he came home, his mother asked what he had said to the man.
"Nothing," he said. "I just helped him cry."

We could all learn from that little boy's compassion. And as they say...'out of the mouths of babes...'

Thanks, Lorna, for sharing these lovely insights. You can follow Lorna at  http://inkspirational messages.com

2 comments:

Rita Galieh said...

I was personally amazed at these in-depth comments from such young children. With their innocence,I guess they see things from a fresh perspective.

Margaret Lepke said...

These are precious! Thanks so much for sharing them. Passing this on to my daughter who is a teacher.