Friday, March 16, 2012

THE GUITAR DID IT!

1959: Billy Graham had just finished his amazing crusade in Melbourne where my faltering faith had been rekindled . In my second year at Geelong Teachers' College, I was now a member of its Christian F/ship. My friend was not well enough to attend the Easter Conference at Belgrave Heights so she offered her accommodation without cost to me.

What a wonderful experience! listening to challenging speakers and enjoying christian  fun and fellowship.  We sang choruses at night by the light of the log fire, accompanied by  the guitar playing of a student pastor from Ballarat. Don Prout was always at the centre of the group with his guitar, ukelele, infectious laugh and sense of humour. My heart missed a beat or two when I heard him singing...

I invited Pastor Don to be the speaker at the youth group in my church at Newtown Baptist (Geelong). Then our group visited his church...and so it started. We wrote copious letters. Don was writing a commentary on all the books of the Bible, which he finished many years later.  Each day he sent me his notes that I used for my daily devotions and he often spoke at my church.

We grew closer and eventually married in 1962. My Donald even played his guitar at the wedding reception. I never dreamed I would be frequently harmonizing with him in duets, even learning to play the ukelele on our honeymoon! The Lord led us through many remarkable
adventures. And we have three children, (one already home in Glory), and five grandchildren.

As well as pastor, teacher, author and "Walk Thru the Bible instructor, Donald was a journalist for New Life Christian newspaper for over twenty-five years. He reported on Christmas and Easter conventions, wrote many in-depth pieces, and interviewed many overseas speakers.

After his death, I was asked to report on conventions and my first write-up was in Easter 2009 -decades after I first met my wonderful husband.

This year would have been our fiftieth wedding anniversary, but the Lord called Donald Home five years ago. Just two days before he died, he used the music therapist's guitar in the palliative care ward of the hospital to sing his last song...

                                               Thank you Jesus, death ain't no big deal."

Thank you so much for sharing with us, Barbara. We will never forget Don's deep spirituality, his cheerful spirit and sense of fun. Truly, both of your lives have been a real inspiration to us!




No comments: