Friday, March 6, 2015

TOTAL COMMITMENT

I asked Brielle, who has recently been married to Michael, how they met.

Michael and I met while I worked as a volunteer at a Christian music festival he was attending. My friends knew a bunch of his friends and pretty quickly we started hanging out as a big group between my shifts at the festival. Michael and I were both pretty similar and soon figured out we enjoyed each other’s company. 

Unfortunately we had both travelled to the town the music festival was held and lived in different cities about 12 hours apart.

We had to decide early on that we were either in or out, as long-distance relationships require a huge commitment not only emotionally and spiritually but financially as well. While it was a big decision it was an easy one because of the peace I felt when trying to figure it all out. The  greatest thing we shared was our love for Christ. We also established soon into our relationship that we both felt God had led us to each other in perfect timing and felt calm knowing we were eventually going to marry.

I guess the thing that I wasn’t completely okay with was realising I was going to be the one moving cities and states to be with him. Not only was I committing myself to Michael, I was also leaving my family, friends, church, ministry and job. Getting married to Michael was going to be the biggest thing to ever happen to me in all senses of the word. Thankfully, I wasn’t doing it alone. Moving states and marrying Michael has been hard but great. Even at the times when I felt overwhelmed and scared, I couldn’t help but understand things would work out all right and I wouldn’t break under the pressure of the situation because I was not doing any of this alone. 

Marriage was a joyful sacrifice that has so far refined me, brought Michael and I closer together, and strengthened us in Christ. 

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor:
If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.

No comments: